Music produced by a guitar can be really captivating. However, what many people do not know is that these instruments produce such sounds as a result of the type of design they have. Their sounds will obviously vary. You may have seen different types of guitar and wondered what the secret behind the differences is. Or you want to play an acoustic guitar and you do not know where to start. Should you take up a 6 string or a 12 string?
Apart from sizes, guitars vary in many ways. All these differences are made to satisfy different needs in people. However, knowing the right type of guitar can be tricky especially when you do not know their advantages and disadvantages. It is also important to know the purpose behind these differences. Here are the pros and cons of each type that will make it easy for you to choose the best piece for yourself.
- Unlike 12 string guitar, turning of a 6 string guitar is much simpler. The guitar has only 6 strings in which each and every string has its own unique sound. This makes it easy and faster when turning the guitar.
- The 6 string guitar is far much easier to learn as compared to the 12 guitar. It has just 6 strings which means mastery would be pretty simple. A beginner will also be able to move and strengthen the fingers much faster. It is a perfect choice for a beginner.
- It is also cheaper as compared to the 12 string guitar. The 6 string guitars are easily accessible. They are also light and much decent to carry and use.
- Unlike the 12 guitar which is restricted to some songs, the 6 string guitar can be used in playing different songs. Can be able to play from pop, rock or romance depending on how the strings are used.
- Does not give a chance for a person or a player to stand out in the crowd. The sound produced by the 6 string guitar is just common sound unlike the 12 string guitar which is able to produce very special and vibrant music.
- It is considered to produce low music as compared to the 12 string guitar. Since the strings are half, definitely the music produced is half the quality.
- Music produced by the 12 string guitar is special. Unlike the 6 strong guitar, this one is known to be rich and full of vibrant sound. This is contributed by the number of strings. For those that have played the 12 string guitar, they cannot go back.
- Turning of the 12 string guitar may not as difficult as you may think. The extra strings are mostly turned the same as the rest. However, they have a special way of turning which makes them produce a different, beautiful and breathtaking sound.
- A 12 string guitar may be considered to be not flexible.Irrespecitve of its beautiful sound, it is not possible to play some of the most popular songs. In this case the guitar becomes unnecessary. These are mostly rock and pop songs which are mostly composed on a 6 stringer.
- The 12 string guitars are not popular. Theyare not easily accessible and once you find one they are way far expensive as compared to the 6 string guitar. Especially if you are looking for a high quality, it may cost you a lot.
- They are difficult to play especially for beginners. When strumming and trying to pick the number of strings makes it difficult for beginners. The number of strings may easily discourage a beginner.
Who Is It For?
The two types of guitar, 6-string and 12-string guitar are made differently to suite different people’s needs. Here is what you need to know. I would say, the 12-string guitar is built for professionals who want to stand out among many when playing the instrument. People who are ready to bear the cost and in return produce special music.
On the other hand, the 6-string guitar is designed and built for a common beginner or player. A person who wants to develop his/her skills without straining. Someone who also wants to play any kind of music with ease.
If you are looking for the best guitar to buy between the 12-string and the 6-string then you should consider your likes and abilities. For an experienced player with cash and abilities to play well, then the 12-string guitar is the best. This will enable who play special music that will help you stand out among other players.
For a beginner who wants to learn easily and cannot affordable a very expensive guitar, then a 6-string guitar is the best choice. It will give you a humble time to play and learn different songs.